Investigators are learning that the web woven by suspects in Operation Sandy Bottom is more tangled than even they realized.
Thursday, during formal arraignments in Waycross at the United States District Court, several Sandy Bottom defendants stood in front of a federal magistrate judge to be arraigned on individual charges relating to the allegations in the 52-count indictment regarding their suspected role in a drug conspiracy. Before the hearing was over, prosecutors uncovered a previously unknown plot hatched by three defendants to assassinate two others. And one of those targeted for assassination was in the courtroom with two of those who ordered the hit.
Prosecutors began opening statements by requesting the defendants be detained pending trial. The basis for this request was a major concern for the safety of the public and co-defendants. It was during this time that agents uncovered the assassination plot orchestrated between the higher-ranking members of the organization against two co-defendants. The evidence presented indicated that Christina Alexander, Richard Young, and Jackie Kavashia McMillan plotted to murder Joshua McGinty and Brad Vickers for an alleged drug debt. Joshua McGinty was present in the courtroom along with Alexander and Young and that was the first time he had heard of the plot against his life. This goes to show the serious nature and the extent this organization will go to protect their investments.
The judge heard all the evidence presented, the defendants and their attorneys individually and made his decisions based on federal guidelines.
Christina Alexander-formally arraigned, waived bond hearing due to outstanding warrants in other jurisdictions. Alexander remains in custody pending trial.
Joshua McGinty-formally arraigned, waived bond hearing due to current state charges, remains in custody pending trial.
James McGinty- formally arraigned last week. Today was denied bond, remains in custody pending trial.
Daniel Lowe-formally arraigned, waived bond hearing due to outstanding warrants in other jurisdictions, remains in custody pending trial.
Richard Young-formally arraigned and denied bond, remains in custody pending trial.
- Christopher Jones convicted on two counts of murder
- Former prison guard admits role in major south Georgia drug trafficking conspiracy
- Coffee County man sentenced to federal prison for meth distribution
- Brothers sentenced for using drone to smuggle contraband into Telfair State Prison
- Two felons sentenced to prison after stealing thousands in COVID-19 funds
Latest from Staff Reports
- DPD officers investigating Sunday night shooting
- Joyce Milsap, wife of Country Music Hall of Fame member Ronnie Milsap, passes at 80
- CCSO, DPD release statement regarding Harris arrest
- GBI investigating sheriff's deputies' use of force in Harris arrest
- Monroe County officers arrest Broxton man for allegedly stealing three DNR Polaris Rangers and trailers