A Friday morning accident at the Ambrose-Broxton crossroads on Bowens Mill Road resulted in three fatalities.
Mary Merritt, along with her husband, Roy, and sister, Annie Lou Pittman, were traveling east on Ga. Hwy. 268 in a Cadillac DeVille. According to authorities, the Cadillac failed to yield at a stop sign at the intersection of Hwy. 268 and Ga. Hwy. 206, and was struck by a box truck driven by Lance Seymour.
Authorities say Seymour swerved and attempted to avoid the collision, but still struck the vehicle on the right side. All occupants of the Cadillac were transported to the hospital and later pronounced dead. Officials say Roy Merritt was thrown from the vehicle and no one in the Cadillac was wearing a seat belt.
Seymour was not injured in the accident and no charges have been filed.
-Special thanks to WALB-TV for assisting with this article.
- Trial recap: Jury finds Justin Anderson innocent of murder, guilty of tampering with evidence and making false statements
- State rests in Justin Anderson trial
- Defense expected to call first witness in Anderson trial Thursday
- Twelve witnesses take the stand in first day of Anderson trial
- First trial underway in death of Vann Brown
Latest from Robert Preston
- Trojans fall 56-28 to Cartersville Purple Hurricanes, finish with 10-3 record
- Trojans take down Decatur Bulldogs 51-23 in second round
- Trojans break the Mustangs 34-6 in first round, head to Decatur next week
- Stevens pleads guilty to exploitation and intimidation of disabled/elderly adult, gets probation
- Tyreek Hill: From Jardine Stadium on Friday to the record books on Sunday