A Wednesday afternoon shooting in eastern Coffee County resulted in an armed standoff between the alleged shooter and officers from multiple law enforcement agencies, eventually ending peacefully.
The shooting took place in a mobile home park off Clyde Kirkland Road east of Douglas. According to sources, the alleged shooter is Eric Chestnut, 21, of Douglas. He allegedly shot Shanna Shelton, his pregnant girlfriend, in the lower jaw. Shelton was able to flee the scene, where she was eventually picked up by an ambulance. An Air-Evac helicopter later transported Shelton to a trauma center in Savannah.
Officers from the Coffee County Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene, assisted by officers from other agencies, including the Broxton Police Department and the Georgia State Patrol. Chestnut barricaded himself inside the home for about two hours before eventually surrendering. He was arrested and taken to the Coffee County Jail.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Video: Tyreek Hill lights up social media with Pearson Community Technical College reference
- Douglas police investigating non-fatal shooting on Shirley Avenue
- Walmart releases statement regarding aisle closures
- Chiefs waive Miller as pre-season comes to a close
- County sells old Douglas Asphalt building, renames portion of Elmer Grantham Road