Severe weather is about to arrive in Coffee, Atkinson
- Written by Robert Preston
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
A line of severe thunderstorms has arrived in Southwest Georgia and are headed east toward Coffee County. Rain, winds approaching 60 mph, and a possibility of tornadoes are all components of this potentially dangerous system. Rain is expected to arrive in the Douglas area around 11 a.m. and continue through the afternoon. Coffee and Atkinson counties are currently under a significant weather advisory.
According to WALB, tornado watches were in effect earlier this morning in the southwestern portion of the state, including Clay, Early, Miller, Randolph, and neighboring counties. Those watches expired at 8 a.m.
The National Weather Service in Tallahassee has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for several nearby counties. Those warnings will expire shortly. The counties currently under warnings are Cook, Berrien, Lowndes, Lanier, Brooks, and a portion of Colquitt.
The NWS reported that the storms are moving east at 40 mph. That was at 9:37 a.m. If the storm stays on its current track and speed, it will arrive in Coffee County shortly. Stay tuned for updates and take appropriate action if conditions in your area worsen. According to a WALB report last night, rainfall isn’t expected to exceed two inches; this will primarily be a wind event as opposed to a rain event – which means yes, there will more than likely be school tomorrow.
- Coldest temperatures in years arrive in Coffee County
- Coffee County to see 25 mph winds as Ian heads toward second landfall
- City prepares for Hurricane Ian
- Hurricane Ian bears down on Florida, could bring heavy rain and high winds to Coffee County
- Storm rips through Coffee County, thousands without power
Latest from Robert Preston
- Sidewalk clash on Peterson Avenue sends two to jail, one to the hospital
- Officers arrest, jail McRae man for alleged financial transaction fraud
- Drug detectives act on tip, make meth arrest
- Kendrick Mizell's murder trial scheduled to begin Monday
- David Spivey arrested, charged with embracery in connection with jury tampering allegations in Anderson trial