A man who walked off from a Coffee County Jail work detail Friday is back behind bars following a short-lived escape plan hatched with the assistance of his girlfriend.
50-year-old Donald Dewayne Davis had been incarcerated at the jail since July 2017, on multiple drug charges and a probation violation. He had been placed on a work crew at the courthouse, where he was assigned to painting the visiting judge's office last Friday.
Davis walked off the work site and was met by his accomplice, 23-year-old Megan Plymel, in the area of the courthouse. It was later learned the two fled the scene in a blue GMC Sierra pickup truck.
Davis was discovered missing around 10 a.m. Friday, and an immediate search was begun by sheriff's office detectives.
Over the next several hours, Coffee County detectives collaborated with multiple local, state and interstate law enforcement agencies in determining a possible direction of travel and location of the suspects. Around midnight Saturday, Dec. 10, Davis and Plymel were found at a residence in Gastonia, North Carolina and taken into custody. They are currently incarcerated at a local jail facility in Gaston Co., NC, awaiting extradition back to Georgia.
Along with his still pending charges, Davis will be charged with felony escape upon his return to Coffee County. Plymel will be charged with aiding Davis' escape, also a felony, and was discovered to be wanted in Florida for criminal mischief and property damage.
Sheriff Wooten and detectives thank the Waycross Police Dept., Ware Co. Sheriff's Office, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), North Carolina Bureau of Investigation, Gastonia (NC) Police Dept., Gaston Co. (NC) Sheriff's Office, Aiken (SC) Police Dept., and Aiken Co. (SC) Sheriff's Office for their assistance in quickly apprehending Davis and Plymel.
- Domestic dispute erupts after wife finds husband at mistress's home, husband arrested on aggravated assault charges
- Douglas woman back in jail after allegedly failing to meet conditions of bond
- Another traffic stop, another meth arrest
- GBI charges former Coffee, Bacon deputy with aggravated sexual battery
- Alleged drug dealer leads deputies on chase while his home is searched
Latest from Submitted
- City holds push in ceremony for new fire truck
- Middle school artists wanted for bookmark contest
- SGSC's Dr. Arlena Stanley selected to participate in USG's Executive Leadership Institute
- Clerk's Office announces new tool to monitor property and records activity
- CCA senior one of 100 students nationwide to receive $1,000 scholarship through Heisman High School Scholarship program