A Monday night fire at an apartment complex in Douglas displaced nine individuals and caused extensive damage. Thankfully, authorities reported no injuries.
The fire broke out in an upstairs unit at East Woods Apartments on North McDonald Avenue, nearly directly across the street from Eastside Elementary School. Authorities believe the fire began in the kitchen. Douglas firefighters responded to the blaze between 10:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Monday. Their quick response kept the fire from spreading throughout the building.
People in the other three apartments in the building were evacuated due to smoke. All told, the American Red Cross helped re-locate nine individuals into temporary homes while their apartments are repaired. At least one of the people in the building was a student at Eastside Elementary.
- South Georgia physician admits participating in conspiracy to illegally distribute drugs
- Douglas woman loses life walking on 1-10 in Jacksonville
- ATCO officers make fourth arrest in armed robberies investigation
- Picket pleads guilty on aggravated assault charge
- Man arrested after allegedly burning girlfriend's clothes
Latest from Robert Preston
- 2021 CHS graduate loses life in Lanier County shooting
- Stafford, Merritt lead the way at CHS track awards banquet
- Douglas woman jailed after shooting, witnesses say it was in self-defense
- County buys fire truck in Texas, crashes on way back to Georgia
- Deep South Farm Supply employee charged with taking, burning truck and trailer