Another day, another shooting death in Douglas.
This afternoon, officers from the Douglas Police Department responded to a call at a North College Avenue address. There they found Lea Merritt of Douglas dead from a gunshot wound. According to multiple sources, the investigation led officers to Merritt’s brother, Caleb Barrett.
Sources report that Barrett allegedly shot Merritt, possibly as a result of some type of family dispute, in the backyard of the residence.
Officers took Barrett in for questioning this afternoon. Late today, two other officers remained at the residence processing the scene. Thus far, the police department hasn’t issued an official statement and this is a developing story.
- South Georgia physician admits participating in conspiracy to illegally distribute drugs
- Douglas woman loses life walking on 1-10 in Jacksonville
- ATCO officers make fourth arrest in armed robberies investigation
- Picket pleads guilty on aggravated assault charge
- Man arrested after allegedly burning girlfriend's clothes
Latest from Robert Preston
- 2021 CHS graduate loses life in Lanier County shooting
- Stafford, Merritt lead the way at CHS track awards banquet
- Douglas woman jailed after shooting, witnesses say it was in self-defense
- County buys fire truck in Texas, crashes on way back to Georgia
- Deep South Farm Supply employee charged with taking, burning truck and trailer