Officers from the Douglas Police Department, Georgia State Patrol, the Coffee County Sheriff’s Office, and an area SWAT team swarmed the neighborhood surrounding Amelia Apartments on North McDonald Avenue Friday night after a gunman shot two individuals, one fatally, and barricaded himself inside an apartment.
As of Friday around 11 p.m., the gunman, who family on the scene identified as Curtis Wallace, was still barricaded inside the apartment. According to a police spokesman, the body of the deceased female was inside the apartment as well. A second female who had been shot had gotten out of the building and was talking to investigators at Coffee Regional Medical Center. Family members again confirmed that the deceased is Kathy Wallace. There were children inside at the time of the shooting but they escaped unharmed.
Law enforcement had set up a perimeter and were working to bring the incident to a safe conclusion without further injury. DouglasNow.com will provide further updates as information is made available.
Latest from Robert Preston
- 2021 CHS graduate loses life in Lanier County shooting
- Stafford, Merritt lead the way at CHS track awards banquet
- Douglas woman jailed after shooting, witnesses say it was in self-defense
- County buys fire truck in Texas, crashes on way back to Georgia
- Deep South Farm Supply employee charged with taking, burning truck and trailer