In early July the City of Douglas hired Stevie Young as director of the Parks and Recreation Department. Mr. Young is eager to work with the citizens of Douglas to improve conditions for recreation and talk about new ideas for the city. Plans for a skate park are in the works, but negotiation and communication from the skateboarding community of Douglas are needed to push things forward. Though there currently is no area specifically designated for skating at this time, Mr. Young urges those who skate to abide by laws and not skate on sidewalks in downtown Douglas.
Citizens are urged to attend a community session on Aug. 15, where Mr. Young will be taking into consideration any and all suggestions and ideas to better serve the City of Douglas. He is looking forward to amicable and productive conversation with everyone who attends. The community session is set to take place at the Central Square Gym.
The Department of Recreation offers a wide variety of programs, including tee ball, ceramics classes, exercise programs, soccer, football, swimming for children and adults, among many others. For information on any programs available visit the recreation department in the Central Square Complex or call 912-384-5978.
- 16 cases on the last Superior Court trial week of the year
- Douglas man arrested for allegedly falsely reporting that people were trying to kill him and meth possession
- Five CHS students receive REACH Scholarship
- Precious Possessions presents Childhood Cancer Awareness Group with donation during Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- Traffic stop yields meth arrest
Latest from Megan Bennett
- DDA appointment causes tension at city commission meeting
- Douglas thrift store will benefit local cancer patients
- Precious Possessions celebrates three decades in Douglas
- School board welcomes new chair, vice-chair for 2016
- CDC, state officials, locals look to address poor health issues through local initiative