In early July the City of Douglas hired Stevie Young as director of the Parks and Recreation Department. Mr. Young is eager to work with the citizens of Douglas to improve conditions for recreation and talk about new ideas for the city. Plans for a skate park are in the works, but negotiation and communication from the skateboarding community of Douglas are needed to push things forward. Though there currently is no area specifically designated for skating at this time, Mr. Young urges those who skate to abide by laws and not skate on sidewalks in downtown Douglas.
Citizens are urged to attend a community session on Aug. 15, where Mr. Young will be taking into consideration any and all suggestions and ideas to better serve the City of Douglas. He is looking forward to amicable and productive conversation with everyone who attends. The community session is set to take place at the Central Square Gym.
The Department of Recreation offers a wide variety of programs, including tee ball, ceramics classes, exercise programs, soccer, football, swimming for children and adults, among many others. For information on any programs available visit the recreation department in the Central Square Complex or call 912-384-5978.
- Bowen, Merson receive additional charges in alleged heroin operation
- Young to stand trial Wednesday on possession of firearms charge
- Operation Quality-of-Life discovers numerous violations in city
- Wiregrass announces President's, Dean's lists
- Reed's Snack & Shack takes 1st in Barbecue News Magazine's 2022 Sauces of Honor contest
Latest from Megan Bennett
- DDA appointment causes tension at city commission meeting
- Douglas thrift store will benefit local cancer patients
- Precious Possessions celebrates three decades in Douglas
- School board welcomes new chair, vice-chair for 2016
- CDC, state officials, locals look to address poor health issues through local initiative