Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website at www.entclinicmd.com
It may be the hottest summer in a long time — and maybe the hottest summer ever — but the temperature didn’t have anything to do with an explosion at Sambo’s in Willacoochee Sunday afternoon.
According to the Atkinson County Fire Department and Emergency Management Agency, there was a gas leak at the walk-up hamburger restaurant. Something in the air conditioning unit caused the gas to ignite, causing an explosion that could be heard several blocks away.
Firefighters responded quickly and shut off the gas. Once the gas leak was off, firefighters went inside to make sure there were no victims in the building. The explosion caused extensive damage to Sambo’s but no injuries were reported. The Atkinson County Fire Department credited firefighter Joshua Branch with responding quickly and gaining control of the situation.
Samba’s, located at the corner of Highway 135 and McCranie Avenue, has long been an institution in Willacoochee. It looks like the popular eatery will be closed for some time until the damage can be repaired.
- Fire destroys home Thursday afternoon
- Atkinson County deputy allegedly sent inappropriate messages to minor, fired as result
- Wiregrass announces President's and Dean's List for dual enrollment students
- ATCO Sheriff Moore: Deputy suspended following traffic stop indecent exposure investigation
- Atkinson County sheriff investigating allegations that female exposed herself to deputy during traffic stop
Latest from Staff Reports
- Deputy stops vehicle for no headlights, finds suspected meth
- Suspicious vehicle on side of the road leads to arrest on drug, gun charges
- Bullets fly in Coffee County on November 28: Two shootings reported three hours apart
- Officers investigate Sunday night armed robbery, suspect still on the loose
- Traffic stop leads to three arrests on illegal drug, firearms, and illegal hunting charges