County drug unit releases 2022 arrest numbers
- Written by Staff Reports
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
The Coffee County Drug Unit (CCDU) wrapped up the 2022 calendar year with 229 arrests. Most of those arrests involved violations of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act while other arrests were made for outstanding warrants.
The CCDU seized approximately 7.46 pounds or 3,383 grams of suspected methamphetamine/MDMA. The street value for the amount of these substances seized is estimated to be in excess of $33,000, with a valuation of $300/ounce. These substances are psychostimulants that are often sold in grams.
Officers seized 1.23 pounds of cocaine, or 557 grams. The CCDU less commonly seizes this substance due to the prevalence of methamphetamine in the county. The total weight of this substance came from seizures of both powder cocaine, as well as crack cocaine. The estimated street value for the amount of cocaine seized is in excess of $21,000, with a valuation of $1,100/ounce.
Marijuana seizures came in at 9.2 pounds. The majority of this substance was seized in a small number of cases also involving other crimes, such as possession of scheduled narcotics, possession of firearms by felons/probationers, and others. The street value for this amount of marijuana is estimated to be more than $22,000, with a valuation of $150/ounce.
Over 550 tablets of prescription medication were seized in 2022. These tablets included addictive opioid pain medications, including oxycodone and hydrocodone. The estimated street value of this number of pills is estimated to be over $5,000, with a valuation of $10 per tablet.
Heroin tipped the scales at 5.15 ounces of heroin during 2022. Heroin is often cut with other substances, such as fentanyl. The CCDU identified several overdoses in the county linked to the heroin/fentanyl seized in 2022. This substance is often sold in very small amounts, typically in tenths of a gram. The estimated street value of this amount of heroin/fentanyl is $7,500, with a valuation of $1500 per ounce.
Other seizures by the CCDU included four vehicles suspected to have been used in furtherance of drug dealing and/or trafficking, as well as 39 firearms and $55,099.76 in suspected proceeds from drug dealing and trafficking. Seizing firearms from suspected drug dealers and convicted felons drastically reduces violent crime in the area.
The total monetary amount of all drugs and assets seized in 2022 exceeds $155,000.
- Officers arrest, jail McRae man for alleged financial transaction fraud
- Drug detectives act on tip, make meth arrest
- 39-year-old arrested on cocaine trafficking charges after vehicle stop
- Drug unit officers arrest, charge Douglas man with meth possession after short chase
- Wellness check by family member goes bad near Ambrose
Latest from Staff Reports
- Legislature passes HB 7811, establishes new guidelines for local elected officials and governments
- Trojan track teams compete in Hiram Johnson Invitational at Lowndes
- Kentavius Street signs one-year deal with Philadelphia Eagles
- Douglas ranked as seventh safest city in Georgia
- Police department, fire marshal's office investigating Tuesday night fire