The City of Douglas will hold three open house dates for the restored barracks at the Airport on Tuesday, October 4, 2022, from 1:00PM – 4:00PM, Thursday, October 13, from 9:00 AM-1:00 PM, and Friday, October 21, 2022 from 1:00PM – 4:00PM. Once utilized as housing for World War II cadets, the Barracks #5 building is hoped to be used for an aviation-type business or aviation-related purposes. The open house is free of charge.
In 2020, the Georgia Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Natural Resources awarded the City of Douglas $10,000.00 in grant funds for building improvements on Barracks #5 in 2020. Funds from the DNR Grant and the City of Douglas allowed a new roof to be placed on the building as well as other improvements to occur. To assist with air base preservation and development efforts, the City of Douglas rezoned the property for planned development in 2018.
After visiting the barracks building, stop by the WWII Flight Training Museum and learn more about our historic Air Base. Other planned Open House dates for the remainder of the 2022 year include: November 9, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM; and November 17, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM. For more information about the historic airbase or preservation efforts, call Community Development at (912) 383-0277.
- School system police officer arrested, charged for allegedly breaking into cars
- Christmas parade is this weekend, here are the rules
- Judge sentences Justin Anderson to 18 months confinement in connection with Vann Brown's death
- Douglas woman arrested on shoplifting, drug possession charges after allegedly stealing shoes
- Movie date turns violent after alleged jealous ex shows up