Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website at www.entclinicmd.com
A juvenile has been implicated in the death of Loyce Tucker, 17, of Douglas, who was a resident at the Waycross Regional Youth Detention Center in Waycross. Tucker was reported unresponsive on Tuesday, August 9, 2022. Two days later, on Thursday, August 11, 2022, Tucker passed away from injuries sustained at the RYDC.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating Tucker’s death. Agents arrested Thomas Lee Hicks, 30, an officer at the RYDC, on Tuesday, August 16, 2022, for allegedly pitting juveniles at the RYDC against each other in a fight game. Authorities believe that it was in this fight game that Tucker suffered the injuries that led to his death.
Thursday, August 18, 2022, GBI officials released a one-sentence statement that reads as follows: “A juvenile complaint for involuntary manslaughter has been secured for the juvenile involved in the fight that resulted in the death of another juvenile on August 9, 2022.” The juvenile referenced in the statement is Tucker. The GBI has released no further information regarding this latest development in the case.
Hicks was charged with one count of murder in the 2nd degree, two counts of cruelty to children in the 2nd degree, and one count of violation of oath of office.
Funeral services for Tucker will be held on Friday, August 19, 2022 at 11 a.m. in the Chapel at Sims Funeral Home with Rev. Loyce (Loy) Burkett officiating. Interment will follow at New Hope Church Cemetery in Ambrose.
Tucker is survived by his mother, Ashlie Muncey of Douglas; father, Jonathan Tucker Sr. of Ware County; brothers, Jonathan Tucker, Jr. and Dennis Tucker; grandmother, Karen Guererro of Douglas; a special friend, Aliza Durham; and several aunts, uncles and cousins.
- DPD officers respond to possible hostage situation at local motel, make one arrest
- Coffee County man arrested for sexual exploitation of children
- Grand jury indicts former Indian Creek principal on two counts cruelty to children
- GBI arrests Baxley man in aggravated assault investigation
- GBI releases statement, more information on New Year's Eve shooting death in Jeff Davis County
Latest from Staff Reports
- #7 Trojans improve to 5-0 with win over Richmond Hill
- Foot chase leads to methamphetamine arrest
- Officers arrest two on Valentine's Day, female attempts to hide suspected meth inside her
- Videos on social media lead to arrest on animal cruelty charges (with graphic video)
- Douglas woman charged with animal cruelty after critically ill horse found on property