The Douglas Utilities Department’s Natural Gas division will observe Public Natural Gas Week from October 2 to 8, 2022. This annual nationwide event is intended to build public awareness about the value of having a community-owned natural gas utility. During this week, we will also educate residents on the environmental and cost benefits of using clean, reliable, and affordable natural gas in addition to the cost benefits of natural gas appliances.
There are approximately 1,000 public natural gas systems serving more than 6 million customers. These public natural gas utilities are not-for-profit retail distribution entities that are owned by and accountable to the citizens they serve. They include municipal gas distribution systems, public utility districts, county districts, and other public agencies that have natural gas distribution facilities.
Since 1962, the Douglas Utilities - Natural Gas Division has been supplying natural gas in the city and Coffee County. The division consists of 8 employees who conduct a variety of surveys and inspections including leak surveys, regular station inspections, valve inspections, and
yearly safety inspections. Natural gas is supplied to 22 Industrial Interruptible Customers, 288 Commercial Customers, 832 Residential Customers, and 21 Agricultural Customers.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of natural gas and how your public natural gas system works, please contact us at (912)389-3427.
- School system police officer arrested, charged for allegedly breaking into cars
- Christmas parade is this weekend, here are the rules
- Judge sentences Justin Anderson to 18 months confinement in connection with Vann Brown's death
- Douglas woman arrested on shoplifting, drug possession charges after allegedly stealing shoes
- Movie date turns violent after alleged jealous ex shows up