Two former Trojans, linebacker Jameon Gaskin and Javiontae Martin, won a national championship Saturday as members of the Valdosta State University Blazers. The Blazers defeated the Ferris State Bulldogs 49-47 in the NCAA Division II National Championships in McKinney, Texas.
Martin, a 6’2”, 213 lb. defensive lineman, played in five games this season, including the national championship game. Gaskin, 5’11, 219, was the Gulf South Conference’s Freshman Defensive Player of the Year and played in all 14 of the Blazers’ games. He tallied five tackles against Ferris State (three solo, two assists).
The Blazers sealed the victory in a back and forth game when an unsuccessful two-point conversion attempt following a Ferris State touchdown late in the game. The title was VSU’s fourth national championship and first since 2012.
- Jameon Gaskin tackles opponents, adversity with equal ferocity
- Jameon Gaskin named Gulf South Defensive Freshman of the Year
- Gaskin accounts for 20 of Coffee's 35 points in 35-20 win over Effingham Rebels in Erk Russell Classic
- VSU graduate joins DouglasNow.com's staff
- Becoming a gift to the world: Two SGSC students win the Diana Alexandra Grant