Voncellies Allen, a former Coffee Trojan, is now a member of the Georgia Southern Athletics Hall of Fame. GSU inducted Allen on Saturday, Sept. 17, in Statesboro.
Allen played just one year of football at Coffee High. He was good enough in that one season to receive several scholarship offers. Allen decided to attend Georgia Southern University, where he lettered for four years as a defensive lineman. He started 45 games, including all 15 of the 1999 national championship season. According to release from Georgia Southern, Allen recorded 77 total tackles, 30 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, and had one interception that season.
Allen also earned All-America and All-Southern Conference honors from 1997-1999. In 1999, he was also named First-Team Associated Press All-America and was an All-SoCon selection in 1999 by both the coaches and the media. Additionally, Georgia Southern named Allen Student-Athlete of the Year in 1998 and 1999.
After his career ended at GSU, Allen played for several different arena football teams. He now lives in Augusta with his wife and children.
- Douglas native awarded Medical Laboratory Science API Scholarship
- Satilla Regional Libary to hold Saturday programs
- South Georgia State College partners with Georgia Southern to bring Birds of Prey show
- Gaskin accounts for 20 of Coffee's 35 points in 35-20 win over Effingham Rebels in Erk Russell Classic
- Coffee remains undefeated at Erk Russell Classic, topples Effingham 41-13 (with video)