An armed car jacking connected to a fatal shooting in Ocilla took place in Douglas Thursday night. No one in Coffee County was injured although the suspect did escape with the stolen car. He later killed himself near Nicholls with officers in pursuit.
According to officers, two people were shot – one fatally – in Ocilla by a male assailant. The alleged shooter fled to Coffee County, where he ditched his car then, at gun point, stole a car from the BP convenience store on Highway 158 West near Baymeadows. The owner of the car was not injured in the carjacking.
The suspect then fled in the stolen car through Douglas and into Nicholls. Officers pursued the suspect, who eventually abandoned the vehicle and ran. He then committed suicide in a wooded area. No further injuries were reported.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Local election results: Four races decided, one headed to a runoff
- An interview with Melody and Vaylor Trucks of Brother & Sister
- Baxley's Byron Buxton one home run off Major League lead
- Dewey Thomas “Butch” McDuffie, 72
- DPD officers make arrest after alleged home invasion, domestic dispute involving a shotgun