Like many rural counties in Georgia, Coffee County trended red in Tuesday’s run-off elections for U.S. Senate and Public Service Commissioner. However, that trend did not hold true throughout Georgia. While the two Senate races haven’t officially been called, Rev. Raphael Warnock (D) has claimed victory over incumbent Kelly Loeffler (R) and John Ossoff (D) has a slim lead over incumbent David Perdue (R).
Long-time Republican Public Service Commissioner Lauren “Bubba” McDonald has fared better than his party-mates running for Senate. He holds a larger although still scant lead (two points) over Democrat Daniel Blackman. That race hasn’t been called yet, either.
Locally, voters chose Loeffler over Warnock 9,124 to 4,074 and Perdue over Ossoff 9,141 to 4,050. In the PSC race, McDonald defeated Blackman 9,042 to 3,924.
Voter turnout in Coffee County was just over 51 percent. There were 13,236 votes cast out of 25,502 registered voters.
The local elections office experienced problems once again with the absentee ballot scanner. The scanner wouldn’t work properly so officials had to borrow one from Atkinson County after its vote count was completed. Technicians were on site in Douglas to address any problems that might arise with the equipment. However, they were unable to solve the issues.
- Douglas man arrested for allegedly falsely reporting that people were trying to kill him and meth possession
- Precious Possessions presents Childhood Cancer Awareness Group with donation during Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- School system police officer arrested, charged for allegedly breaking into cars
- Early voting in U.S. Senate runoff underway
- Bond hearings held in Coffee County, several released due to not being indicted within 90 days
Latest from Robert Preston
- Trojans fall 56-28 to Cartersville Purple Hurricanes, finish with 10-3 record
- Trojans take down Decatur Bulldogs 51-23 in second round
- Trojans break the Mustangs 34-6 in first round, head to Decatur next week
- Stevens pleads guilty to exploitation and intimidation of disabled/elderly adult, gets probation
- Tyreek Hill: From Jardine Stadium on Friday to the record books on Sunday