Information and photo provided by CDLLife.com with permission
Friday morning, a truck driver from Baxley with family in Coffee County lost his life in a fiery crash near Charlotte, N.C.
According to CDLLife.com, the truck, which was being driven by Kenneth Wayne “Kenny Wayne” Maddox of Baxley, struck an abandoned car on I-485 near the Northlake Center Parkway Bridge on the morning of Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. The truck overturned and caught fire. Within a short time, it was fully engulfed.
Initial reports were that a car ran the truck into a pillar of the bridge. The car then stopped and the driver jumped out and fled on foot into a wooded area. Law enforcement searched for the driver both on foot and using a helicopter but never located the driver. Later Friday afternoon, police learned that the vehicle had been abandoned after suffering mechanical problems. The car’s driver was on the way to a job interview when the breakdown happened.
Officers have contacted the car’s owner who said that the car broke down a little before the accident happened. The driver turned on the hazard lights and pulled over as far as the car would go. The question now is whether or not the car was completely out of the roadway or if it was partially obstructing the lane of travel. The CDLLife.com story quoted a WSOCTV story reporting that a witness stated that the car was not completely out of the roadway.
No charges have been filed at this time.
- One killed in crash with truck on 32, truck driver escapes burning rig
- Appling County native hits go-ahead home run in MLB All Star Game, wins game for American League
- Douglas woman loses life walking on 1-10 in Jacksonville
- Baxley's Byron Buxton one home run off Major League lead
- Video: Truck overturns near Ambrose, blocks highway for several hours
Latest from Staff Reports
- Douglas man charged with burglary after allegedly breaking in apartment in Oak Park
- A fight in West Green lands one in the hospital, another in jail
- Migrant women endured medical mistreatment at Georgia ICE facility, U.S. Senate report finds
- DPD makes arrest in golf club thefts
- Douglas native one of 17 alleged gang members charged in Barrow County