Baxley truck driver with Coffee ties loses life in North Carolina accident
- Written by Staff Reports
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
Information and photo provided by CDLLife.com with permission
Friday morning, a truck driver from Baxley with family in Coffee County lost his life in a fiery crash near Charlotte, N.C.
According to CDLLife.com, the truck, which was being driven by Kenneth Wayne “Kenny Wayne” Maddox of Baxley, struck an abandoned car on I-485 near the Northlake Center Parkway Bridge on the morning of Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. The truck overturned and caught fire. Within a short time, it was fully engulfed.
Initial reports were that a car ran the truck into a pillar of the bridge. The car then stopped and the driver jumped out and fled on foot into a wooded area. Law enforcement searched for the driver both on foot and using a helicopter but never located the driver. Later Friday afternoon, police learned that the vehicle had been abandoned after suffering mechanical problems. The car’s driver was on the way to a job interview when the breakdown happened.
Officers have contacted the car’s owner who said that the car broke down a little before the accident happened. The driver turned on the hazard lights and pulled over as far as the car would go. The question now is whether or not the car was completely out of the roadway or if it was partially obstructing the lane of travel. The CDLLife.com story quoted a WSOCTV story reporting that a witness stated that the car was not completely out of the roadway.
No charges have been filed at this time.
- Two-vehicle accident on Highway 441 claims life of Pearson resident
- One killed in crash with truck on 32, truck driver escapes burning rig
- Appling County native hits go-ahead home run in MLB All Star Game, wins game for American League
- Douglas woman loses life walking on 1-10 in Jacksonville
- Baxley's Byron Buxton one home run off Major League lead
Latest from Staff Reports
- Valdosta police investigating accidental double shooting, at least one victim from Douglas
- BOE approves new administrators at six schools
- Two Hawks combine for no-hitter in 6-0 win over Andrew College
- 39-year-old arrested on cocaine trafficking charges after vehicle stop
- Trojans take first at For Coffee meet, Kate Merritt sets another school record