According to a story posted on WALB.com, a Coffee County man drowned in the Alapaha River Wednesday afternoon.
The story states that Derrick Colson, 40, of Nicholls, fell out of a boat while fishing and drowned. Colson was fishing around the bridge on Highway 319 at the Irwin and Tift county line when the accident happened. Irwin County authorities are investigating the incident.
The WALB report states that authorities suspect no foul play.
- Sheriff's office, Nicholls PD make arrests on drug and other charges
- Complaint against Irwin County Detention Center alleges poor COVID-19 protocols, non-consenual hysterectomies
- Dennis Perry released from Coffee Correctional Facility after murder conviction overturned
- Deputies find stolen truck in pond
- Nicholls prison leads state with 177 COVID-19 cases
Latest from Staff Reports
- Jeff Davis deputies arrest, jail a number of suspected dealers and users
- Deputies arrest wanted fugitive on Friday the 13th
- Three arrested in theft case
- School system cancels classes at CHS until November 30
- GBI, Ben Hill County Sheriff's Office arrest police officer on child sexual exploitation charges