On Saturday, March 18 at 1:00 a.m., Telfair County deputies responded to 39 Roberson Town Lane, Jacksonville, Ga., in reference to neighbors reporting a person suffering from burns. Upon arrival deputies located a white female with burns to her legs, abdomen, chest and head areas. The victim, identified as 56 year old Barbara Williams, was taken from the scene via Air Evac and flown to a burn unit in Augusta where she remains in critical condition.
The victim's boyfriend, a 56 year old white male, James Michael Jones, was taken into custody on scene and transported to the Telfair County Jail.
After interviewing the suspect, witnesses and examining the scene, investigators believe that after an evening of drinking, Jones poured isopropyl rubbing alcohol on the victim and set her ablaze. After setting fire to the victim, investigators believe Jones failed to render aid to the victim who fled to a next door neighbor's yard.
Jones is being currently charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery under the Family Violence Act. Additional charges may be considered as the victim's condition dictates. Jones will remain in the Telfair County Jail until any future bond determination.
- Grand Jury hands down over 30 indictments
- Domestic dispute erupts after wife finds husband at mistress's home, husband arrested on aggravated assault charges
- Douglas man arrested, released after allegedly hitting nephew with hatchet
- Woman arrested after allegedly cutting husband with knife, released on bond
- Second trial in death of Vann Brown scheduled for this month