Jury acquits defendant in child molestation trial
- Written by Robert Preston
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
A Coffee County jury found Adam Johnson not guilty on three counts of child molestation Thursday afternoon.
The alleged incidents occurred in 2018 and involved two children, neither of whom were Johnson’s. He was arrested on Sept. 27, 2018 and remained in jail until being released on bond in his first bond hearing, which took place on Oct. 16, 2018. He was released on a $15,000 and had remained free ever since.
The state did not have a very compelling case and lacked physical evidence. Represented by local attorney Chad White, Johnson proved to be a sympathetic and believable defendant.
Once closing arguments ended the case, the jury deliberated for two and a half hours before returning a not guilty verdict.
This was the second child molestation in Coffee County this month. Last week, a jury convicted Michael Stone II of child molestation. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison with the rest of life to spend on probation.
- Coffee County student makes Brewton-Parker Dean’s List
- City to end recycling program on August 1
- Ethan Kramer receives state young leader award
- Cross sentenced to year and a half in jail after disrupting probation revocation hearing 27 times with foul language, lewd behavior
- Pair of teens arrested for allegedly stealing customer's credit card information at drive-through
Latest from Robert Preston
- Veterans, citizens observe Memorial Day at courthouse ceremony
- City commission approves special exception variance for group bringing in ALDI grocery store
- Completely Unchained brings Van Halen to the stage Saturday in Douglas
- Former Trojan headed to Junior College World Series with Andrew College Tigers
- On the death of the manual transmission and the loss of our connection to the world around us