GBI investigates fatal officer involved shooting in Nicholls
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
The GBI is investigating an officer involved shooting in Nicholls. The Coffee County Sheriff's Office requested the GBI conduct an independent investigation on March 6, 2023. Roy Streat, 78, was shot and killed. No officers were injured in this incident.
Preliminary information indicates that the Nicholls Police Department was notified that a man pointed a gun at a city employee and was walking down the road with the gun. Nicholls Police Department responded and found Streat with a gun at the intersection of Johnson Street and Brunswick Avenue. Streat refused to put down the gun. The officer unsuccessfully attempted to use a taser before shooting Streat. Streat was taken to Coffee Regional Medical Center where he later died.
The GBI will conduct an independent investigation. Once complete, the case file will be given to the Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney's Office for review.
This is the 17th officer involved shooting the GBI has been requested to investigate in 2023.
- GBI arrests Coffee County man in child death investigation
- Nicholls man charged with aggravated stalking after allegedly violating TPO
- Public invited to attend 2023 Comprehensive Short Term Work Plan Update workshop
- GBI makes arrest in child sexual assault investigation
- Car v. pedestrian, hit and run call turns into wild chase near Nicholls
Latest from Submitted
- Ethan Kramer receives state young leader award
- Wiregrass Tech announces new nursing instructor
- SGSC's Carlos Hart plays in NJCAA All-Star Game
- Man hanging out at convenience store allegedly attempts to toss bag of meth, arrested
- Coffee County election security breach: An open letter to Coffee County voters