Ben Hill County inmate who had escaped before escapes again while attending grandmother's funeral in Douglas
- Written by Robert Preston
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
An inmate from the Ben Hill County Jail who was in jail after allegedly escaping custody from Ben Hill County officers during a sentencing hearing in early 2022 has escaped again — this time getting away when he was allowed to go to his grandmother’s funeral in Douglas.
Danny West was apprehended in Douglas on December 17, 2022, after a detective with the Coffee County Drug Unit saw him at Hibbett Sports. The detective called another officer before approaching West. When the officers asked him who he was, he gave a false name and attempted to flee again. The officers caught him at Dollar Tree, which is next door to Hibbett Sports.
After he was captured, he was transported back to the Ben Hill County Jail. When West escaped the first time, he was in court getting sentenced on an armed robbery charge. In addition to that charge, he now faces an additional charge of obstruction of an officer.
West had requested to attend his grandmother’s funeral in Douglas on Saturday afternoon. Ben Hill officials granted his request and Friday, he was transferred to the Coffee County Jail to await the funeral. According to an officer with the Coffee County Sheriff’s Office, West was shackled when he left the jail and officers were at the funeral with him. However, sources report that while West was at the funeral, an officer removed the shackles. West slipped away during the funeral and jumped into a Ford pickup.
Coffee County officials have contacted the U.S. Marshals and expect to have West back in custody soon. If you see West or have information regarding his whereabouts, contact 911 immediately.
- Man hanging out at convenience store allegedly attempts to toss bag of meth, arrested
- Coffee County election security breach: An open letter to Coffee County voters
- Brunel recognized at LaGrange College commencement
- Detective witnesses fight inside car, lands Fitzgerald man in jail
- Aviation, aerospace initiative talks continue in Douglas
Latest from Robert Preston
- City commission approves special exception variance for group bringing in ALDI grocery store
- Completely Unchained brings Van Halen to the stage Saturday in Douglas
- Former Trojan headed to Junior College World Series with Andrew College Tigers
- On the death of the manual transmission and the loss of our connection to the world around us
- Helmet-less motorcyclist arrested after allegedly running from traffic stop