Douglas man arrested, released after allegedly hitting nephew with hatchet
- Written by Kristen Kitchens
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
Officers with the Douglas Police Department recently arrested a 67-year-old man for allegedly hitting his nephew with a hatchet following a dispute over $20. According to the incident report, the suspect, Clive Campbell, admitted to the assault while speaking to the on-scene officer.
According to a police incident report, earlier this month, an officer was dispatched to a residence on South Coffee Avenue. When the officer arrived, he spoke with a 38-year-old male who reported that he was at Campbell's home on East Sellers Street to confront him about $20 he owed him.
The victim stated that when he asked Campbell about the money, he turned around and walked inside his apartment. He reported that while he was sitting on Campbell's porch, the suspect came out and hit him in the back with a hatchet. The officer stated that the victim also showed him wounds and scrapes on the right side of his lower back.
The report states that the officer told the victim that he would go speak to Campbell to "find out what was going on," but that if he wanted to press charges, Campbell would be going to jail. The victim stated he was "fine with that" and that he wanted to press charges against his uncle.
Campbell was located at his home and spoke to the officer shortly after the report was made. According to Campbell, he "did not remember anything that happened, but that if he did hit him with a hatchet, then it was just a little hit." The officer stated that he began asking Campbell about the hatchet, with Campbell responding that he "just wanted to tell the truth."
According to the officer's report, Campbell then admitted to hitting his nephew with the hatchet and told an officer on the scene that the weapon was on the stove inside his apartment. He then went and retrieved the hatchet and handed it over to the officers.
Campbell was charged with one count of aggravated assault. He was later released on bond.
- GBI makes arrest in Jeff Davis shooting
- Sidewalk clash on Peterson Avenue sends two to jail, one to the hospital
- Joey Anderson arrested, charged with embracery for allegedly tampering with potential juror during Justin Anderson's murder trial
- Alapaha man arrested, jailed on consecutive nights
- Report: Traffic stop turns up warrant from Illinois, suspect says it's a case of stolen identity then flees
Latest from Kristen Kitchens
- Defendant in lone criminal trial this month pleads guilty
- American Idol to remember Willie Spence during tonight's Season 21 premiere
- Alleged impaired driver hits, totals Douglas Police Department patrol car
- Alleged domestic dispute leads to terroristic and acts charges
- Allegations of a pecan theft result in meth arrest