Three suspects in Savion McRae's shooting death indicted in Lanier County
- Written by Kristen Kitchens
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
In June, officials with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation reported an investigation into the death of 19-year-old Savion McRae, a 19-year-old from Douglas, after he was shot in Lanier County. Soon after, three local young men were charged in McRae's death and have now been indicted on their charges.
On June 19, GBI officials announced that the Lanier County Sheriff’s Office requested the Douglas Regional Office to conduct a death and aggravated assault investigation.
A release stated that preliminary information indicated that on June 18, 2022, at 10:46 p.m., an individual called 911, reporting that there were people shot on Highway 221 North near the 12-mile marker in Lanier County. When deputies arrived at scene, they discovered McRae, 20-year-old Takevion Strozier of Douglas, and 17-year-old Tremayne Newton of Willacoochee with gunshot wounds. While Newton and Strozier were transported by EMS to receive treatment for their injuries, McRae was found deceased at the scene.
Officials stated that the three men were shot while traveling in a vehicle on Highway 221 by gunfire coming from another vehicle. The GBI Medical Examiner's Office in Pooler completed an autopsy on McRae, confirming his cause of death.
Shortly after McRae's death, two men, 22-year-old Travion Snell and 18-year-old Shamond Campbell, both of Douglas, were arrested on murder and aggravated assault charges. A third suspect, 24-year-old Rodarious "Rod" Swanson, was arrested in August.
According to documents filed in the Lanier County Superior Court, all three suspects have now been indicted on one count of felony murder and four counts of aggravated assault.
The first count of the indictment stated that the men caused McRae's death "by shooting him in the head with a firearm." The other counts accuse them of aggravated assault for shooting at McRae (who was named as the driver), Newton, Strozier, and a fourth passenger, Gene Gordon.
DouglasNow will continue to publish any new updates in the cases as they move forward in court. All the defendants were denied bond and remain in custody.
- Kendrick Mizell's murder trial scheduled to begin Monday
- Joey Anderson arrested, charged with embracery for allegedly tampering with potential juror during Justin Anderson's murder trial
- Trojans take first at home track meet
- Judge Spivey denies convicted double murderer Wallace Lee's motion for a new trial
- GBI investigates fatal officer involved shooting in Nicholls
Latest from Kristen Kitchens
- Defendant in lone criminal trial this month pleads guilty
- American Idol to remember Willie Spence during tonight's Season 21 premiere
- Alleged impaired driver hits, totals Douglas Police Department patrol car
- Alleged domestic dispute leads to terroristic and acts charges
- Allegations of a pecan theft result in meth arrest