According to Coffee County Emergency Management Director Steve Carver, Coffee County is no longer anticipated to receive a significant amount of rain from what is now one of the strongest storms in U.S. history. At 11:00 a.m., forecasters reported that Ian was around 230 miles from Savannah, traveling north-northeast with a wind intensity of approximately 70 mph.
Carver said that locals should expect to see an average of roughly 20-25 mph winds throughout the day. The chance of heavy rain is also no longer predicted, with Carver stating that no more than a quarter of an inch should now be expected.
The storm wreaked havoc in some areas of Florida yesterday, knocking out electricity for more than 2.6 million people and possibly killing "hundreds" of people. As of Thursday, Florida's officials reported having received over 900 calls from people who were stuck inside their flooded homes and needed assistance.
Officials with the National Hurricane Center reported that Ian was close to Category 5 hurricane status as it made landfall near Cayo Costa yesterday afternoon, pummeling the island with 150 mph winds.
Ian has now been downgraded to a tropical storm, with winds of around 70 mph., but it is expected to strengthen back into a hurricane before making landfall between Savannah and Charleston, South Carolina, on Friday. A life-threatening storm surge, tornadoes, and tropical storm force winds could affect Savannah and other areas of north coastal Georgia.
- Hurricane Nicole expected to dump rain, bring 30 mph winds to Coffee County
- City prepares for Hurricane Ian
- Hurricane Ian bears down on Florida, could bring heavy rain and high winds to Coffee County
- Douglas native found deceased in South Carolina, suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound
- Savannah rapper admits COVID-19 relief fraud, drug possession
Latest from Kristen Kitchens
- School system police officer arrested, charged for allegedly breaking into cars
- Early voting in U.S. Senate runoff underway
- Judge sentences Justin Anderson to 18 months confinement in connection with Vann Brown's death
- Douglas woman arrested on shoplifting, drug possession charges after allegedly stealing shoes
- Movie date turns violent after alleged jealous ex shows up